Wednesday 28 November 2012

Reflection on year one, and ambition for year two

Reflecting over the summer, I think that I have developed a lot in the last year. I have learnt how to use computer software that I had no experience in, mainly 3ds Max, and improved in traditional drawing techniques and the range of medias I can use. Last year I found the designing projects using research the most engaging and productive for learning. I think this was due to the high level of creativity the tasks required. I hope to see plenty more design tasks like last years this year, but this time with more detailed specifications because I like to have strict guidelines when designing, too much freedom makes my mind wander. Now fundamental skills have been built up from the first year, I would like to move towards a more specific field within game art and develop a unique style to my work using a combination of traditional and digital techniques. I am kind of torn between two paths that I would like to do, either a concept artist or art director within game and or films. I’m particularly inspired by the likes of Ridley Scott and Sylvain Despretz story boarding in Black Hawk Down because I can see strengths of my own in their work due to both coming from a traditionally art taught back ground. 
From the course this year, I would like to see more encouragement in using digital methods because I feel confident with the traditional side to art now and would like to broaden the ways in which I work. I would especially like to use digital media when it comes to environmental aspects of game art. I am particularly inspired by digital matte painters like Dylan Cole (http://www.dylancolestudio.com/) Although I am keen to progress digitally, I think the constant reinforcement of using traditional methods is crucial to what makes this course stand out and improved my abilities so far so I wouldn't want that aspect to have any lesser role this year. 
I would also like to see tutorials on color theory so that I can get a better understanding of it and introduce color into my work after focusing mainly on black and white studies last year. When it comes to game production, whether it’s through tutorials or self-taught, I would like to experiment a little in Zbrush. I wouldn't want to over use it this year because I know from the first year it is important to be able to low poly model in 3ds, which I am still developing in. I think it would be good to learn in preparation for third year FMP’s just so that it’s an option I can use if I would like to. The aspect of modelling I struggled with the most last year was characters, so this year I would like to see a few character projects so that I can develop more on my organic form modelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment